Fragrant and satisfying, this coconutty broth – freshened with lime and brightened with vitamin A-rich carrot noodles and courgetti – is a sublime co-star to curry paste rubbed, free range chicken. A scattering of coriander is the finishing touch. Here’s how to make Mindful Chef’s Ginger chicken and coconut broth with vegetable noodles…
Ginger chicken and coconut broth with vegetable noodles
2 x 150g chicken thighs
40g creamed coconut
80g baby sweetcorn
4cm fresh ginger
2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
1 vegetable stock cube
1 red onion
1 garlic clove
Handful of fresh coriander
Equipment: Peeler or julienne peeler / spiralizer
Cook time: 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas mark 6, and boil a kettle. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube and creamed coconut in a jug with 350ml boiling water. Stir in just three quarters of the red Thai curry paste.
2. Cut the red onion into bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken thighs and red onion on a baking tray and drizzle with ½ tsp oil. Spread the remaining red Thai curry paste over the chicken and season with sea salt and black pepper. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the onions have softened.
3. Peel and finely chop the ginger and garlic. Peel the carrots. Using a peeler, slice the carrots and courgettes into thin strips (or use a julienne peeler or spiralizer).
4. Make the broth: Heat a medium-sized pan with ½ tsp oil on a medium heat and add the ginger and garlic, cook for 1 min until softening then pour in the coconut, stock and curry paste from the jug. Add the baby sweetcorn and the juice from half the lime, then simmer all together for 10 mins. Add the courgette and carrot noodles to the pan for the last minute to soften.
5. Meanwhile, roughly chop the coriander leaves and add just half to the pan.
6. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the tray from the oven and add the cooked red onion to the pan. Stir.
7. Thinly slice the chicken. Spoon the vegetable noodles into two warm bowls and pour over the broth. Lay the sliced chicken over the top alongside the remaining lime and chopped coriander.
530 calories • 31g carbs • 29g fat • 39g protein
It’s recipes like this that remind us why Mindful Chef is our favourite recipe box provider.
Get your weekly DOSE fix here: SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER