Major Arcana cards add an all-inclusive spiritual or philosophical layer to any reading.
The Strength card symbolizes personal strength and a brave and loyal heart. I show you can bounce back from challenges and delays with ease.
Strength is not shown by force or swagger. We all possess a beast within. The trick is to tame it with compassion and appreciation rather than denial and control.
Strength Tarot Card Description
To better understand the meaning of this card, let’s take in the artistry of this image:
- Woman – She is dressed in white, symbolizing her purity of heart. The garlands of roses represent love. She bends over the lion, holding his head in her hands. She is fearless, and there is no violence in her gesture.
- Lion – The lion stands with his tail between his legs, indicating his submission to the woman. His mouth is open as if to say something, but he is in the woman’s power.
- Lemniscate – This is the figure above the woman’s head. It looks like a sideways figure-eight, and it represents eternity. Drawn above her head, she has a special state of mind. She sees that she and the lion are the same. She isn’t cruel to herself, so that she won’t be cruel to the beast.
- Gold Sky – The golden sky signals optimism and positive outcomes. Being in charge of her inner beast by the power of self-love is a blessing she can celebrate!
This card is about responding to life’s challenges with gentle, loving kindness. The beast within is not an ugly shadow to be hidden from the world. It is a part of you that developed to keep you safe and help you assert yourself. With this understanding, you can treat yourself with kindness.
When your brave heart begins to snarl and scrap, you can do what must be done with grace and love.
|Strength, courage, compassion, focus, persuasion, influence
|Self-doubt, weakness, insecurity, low energy, raw emotion
|Yes or No
Upright Meaning of The Strength
The upright meaning of this card is the same as the core meaning: Strength thru self-love is the name of the game.
This is a time to come to terms with the lion in your heart. Be kind to yourself, and embrace gentle self-discipline.
Here are the central themes:
- Self-Mastery – Taming your inner beast is not about forcing your heart to submit. Rather, it is about being in charge of expressing your emotions. Be kind to yourself when you struggle. Then, when your strength shines through, it will be helpful and not destructive.
- Balance – You should be more active and bold. Instead, notice when loving-kindness is called for. Notice when it’s necessary to be more firm. Trust yourself to act accordingly.
- Courage – Pushing people around because you can is bullying. Trying to “fix” other people or their problems is meddling. When you can trust yourself to stand up to a direct challenge, that’s courage.
|Upright Career Meaning
|Inner strength leading to harmonious and compassionate relationships
|Success in career through resilience and courage
|Good physical health and emotional well-being achieved through inner balance
Love and Relationships – Upright, The Strength
In a love reading, this upright card signals a time when your partnership grows stronger. With compassion for you both, open hearts allow you to form a deeper bond.
It’s a reminder that there is power in being vulnerable. When you are patient and loving, there is no challenge you can’t face together!
If you’re looking for love, this card invites you to let your guard down with someone you care for. A tough exterior may work for you sometimes, but your love interest wants to see your tender side.
Career and Work – Upright, The Strength
In questions about career, the Strength card says you have what it takes. Dig deep and find the power to make professional progress. With resilience, you will succeed.
Have confidence in your potential. Act with determination. You will overcome obstacles and make strides toward your goal.
We all face professional setbacks, but this is no time to be discouraged. There is a lion in your heart, ready to show the world what you can do.
Health and Wellness – Upright, The Strength
The Strength card upright points to vigorous good health for a health reading. It is a very positive sign that you have the power to bounce back from illness and injury.
With dedication and attention, this card encourages balance. If you work hard, you need time to rest. If you solve puzzles all day, you need time to reflect. When life gets stressful, you have to have strategies for de-escalation.
So, be mindful of how you are feeling. Always take good care of your body. Positive mental and emotional habits will follow.
Spiritual Context – Upright, The Strength
In a spirituality reading, this upright card is an invitation to spiritual growth. The inner toughness you have cultivated allows you to face your fears.
Have compassion for yourself. The hardest part of a spiritual upgrade is forgiving yourself for things you’re not proud of.
Rather than pushing those memories aside, the Strength card calls for loving-kindness. After all, you probably didn’t see another way to respond at that moment.
Spiritual strength doesn’t measure your worth. It measures how dedicated you are to being the best version of yourself. This means disregarding what the ego wants in favor of taking care of your heart and mind.
Reversed Meaning of The Strength
Strength is all about balancing our assertiveness with compassion. In reverse, it says these things are out of balance, or you lack the strength to manage yourself.
- Self-doubt – It’s easy to get overwhelmed when you lack self-confidence. You may fail to respond because you fear over-reacting. This card says you have the power to face any challenge. Trust yourself.
- Unresolved problems – Many people have unresolved personal problems. Many people have emotional issues where they get angry very easily or feel numb no matter what. If this is you, asking for help shows strength. You can find it with a little support if you intend to heal.
|Reversed Love Meaning
|Reversed Career Meaning
|Reversed Health Meaning
|Struggles or power struggles in relationships
|Career challenges due to self-doubt or lack of confidence
|Watch for potential health issues related to stress or emotional imbalance
Love and Relationships – Reversed, The Strength
In a question of love, this card points to an imbalance of power in your relationship. Your partnership may suffer from a lack of empathy and understanding.
Control issues can arise or jealousy. If you or your partner can only be comfortable if the other is in contact, there’s a problem.
Both people need to communicate openly about their experiences. A situation like this requires compassion and compromise.
If you need help to control your partner, this is different from how you grow a strong relationship. Trust and cooperation work well. Listen to your partner and believe what they say to you.
Career and Work – Reversed, The Strength
When Strength pops reversed in a career spread, it indicates you lack confidence. Success requires taking risks, and that takes courage.
Reflect on the fears that are holding you back. Facing them is the way to fulfill your potential.
You may experience some conflict or challenges on the job. It’s necessary to remain calm as you confront these situations. An angry display won’t be good for your prospects.
Health and Wellness – Reversed, The Strength
In a health reading, this reversed card is a reminder NOT to ignore your well-being. You have to pay attention to your mental and physical health every day. This way, you’ll be strong enough to recover quickly in times of crisis.
If you indulge in unhelpful habits, you’re getting in your own way. And if you can’t make positive changes alone, it’s best to ask for help. An accountability buddy can help by reminding you why you’re embracing a change for the better.
Spiritual Context – Reversed, The Strength
Spiritually speaking, Strength in reverse says you’re struggling with a disconnect. Your higher self is waiting for you to embrace the challenge of personal growth.
What fears or reservations might be holding you back? This card wants you to find the courage to do better.
Have confidence in yourself. You are worthy of spiritual support and uplift.
The Strength: Yes or No
“Yes! With bravery and determination in your heart, you will succeed!”
In a “yes or no” reading, the Strength card is a very positive sign. It says you have what it takes to win at whatever you set out to do.
The Strength Card and Astrology
When you add Astrology to a Tarot reading, you get another layer of significance. In astrology, the symbols for the Strength card are the Sun and the sign Leo.
- Sun – In astrology, the Sun represents your core identity. This is who you are and relates to your ambitions or the work you’re trying to do. This shows that the Strength card is all about the self. Self-control and self-confidence are dominant themes.
- Leo – Leo is the lion of the zodiac. It represents power and rulership. This shows that the Strength card is about being in command. Use your powers for good by being in charge of your reactions.
So, the power and self-restraint of Strength isn’t about overpowering anyone else. Instead, strength is shown when you don’t need power over anyone but yourself.
The Strength Tarot Card and Numerology
Numerology is about the symbolism of numbers. Strength’s number in Tarot is 8. In numerology, you add the numbers until they are reduced to a single-digit number.
In this example, 8 is already a singular number. So the Strength card vibrates the number Eight.
In Tarot, Eight represents momentum. When we reach this point in our journey, things are rolling forward quickly, and any adjustments (if required) must happen soon.
The guidance is this: You can keep pace with events with courage and self-discipline. Lacking these, you are likely to fall behind.
The Strength as a Daily Draw
In a daily Tarot draw, the Strength card reminds you to exercise self-control. It’s a sign of inner fortitude when you can rise to a challenge without overreacting.
You can overcome your obstacles by facing them with courage and faith in yourself.
Have compassion for yourself and treat others with respect. Your empathy is a superpower that allows you grace as you manage difficulties.
So today is a day to persevere with love and bravery in your heart. Let your inner light shine for us all to see!
How to use The Strength in a Reading?
To use this card in a reading, you have to keep in mind that it demands self-compassion.
As a Major Arcana card, Strength’s influence is stronger than a regular suit card. And whatever other cards turn up with it, it broadcasts a message of strength through vulnerability!
Here are some themes to pay attention to:
- Believe in Yourself – You know your intentions, and you have the power to do anything you set your mind to. So when self-doubt creeps in, remember your courage and put your best foot forward.
- Face your Fears – Many of our greatest fears come from our own experiences. You may fear how you will act when the challenge comes up. Or you may be afraid that something that scared you will happen again. In either case, the Strength card reminds you that facing your fear is the best way to gain confidence.
- Compassion is Key – It helps nothing to show power without compassion. Real strength is shown when your empathy shines through in your reactions to others.
How to use The Strength in a Love Reading?
In love, Strength shows there is a solid bond in your relationship. When disagreements arise, you open up to one another, making all the difference.
If you’re looking for love, this card encourages you to be brave. Show compassion for potential partners, but stand up for yourself if you must.
You will know what this means in the context of your reading. It will stand out in your mind and demand your attention. Remember to blend its meaning with the story told by the rest of the cards collectively.
Also, apply the card’s meaning in this context to the position it landed in. For example, it could turn up in the “Future” position of a “Past, Present, Future” spread. If that’s the case, the need for compassion and self-control is coming up soon.
How to use The Strength in a Career Reading?
Strength in a career spread is about being brave and taking risks. Now is the time to step up to the plate. Have confidence in yourself.
Make a plan that shows you are determined to succeed. With courage and self-discipline, you can prove yourself in your chosen field.
For any reading, it’s important to ask specific questions. Keep your job prospects in mind while you shuffle or mix the cards. Take a grounding breath. Trust what comes immediately to mind when you turn the card over.
Then, when Strength comes out in the reading, you can blend its courageous and compassionate vibe with the messages of the other cards. This tells a more complete story.
How to use The Strength in a Health Reading?
In a health reading, Strength represents balancing your passive and assertive impulses.
It promises that if you don’t feel well now, you do have the power to improve. With self-care and dedication, you will soon feel better than ever.
The guidance for using it in a health reading is the same as any other reading. Compare and blend the story of this card with that of the others. The Strength card should give you confidence in stabilizing your mental and physical health.
The Strength in Relation to Other Cards
The Strength card gives an energy of self-love and courage. Now is the time to realize the power of empathy! But, just what is all this inner strength for? The answer may lie in the cards that surround it.
Here are some tips for comparing Strength with other cards:
- Paired with Positive Cards: When Other positive cards surround the Strength card, you can be more secure in your success. This shows you are brave enough to face your challenges.
- Balanced with Negative Cards: The glass is half-full if The Strength card appears with challenging cards. With care and dedication on your part, your efforts will be rewarded.
- In the Company of Other Major Arcana Cards: Other Major Arcana cards sitting near The Strength card enhance the power of this card. They add more dimension to the story, giving clues to the path ahead.
The Strength Card is an important part of the overall story a reading tells. The key to a good reading is to blend its message with the messages of the other cards in the spread.
Some cards support Strength. They do this by spelling out a similar story or adding depth and dimension to the tale of self-control. When it shows up with complementary cards, the compassionate power message becomes clearer.
Here are some cards that complement the Strength card:
- The Empress – The Empress and the Strength card have compassion in common. Together, they remind you that patience and understanding give you the power to overcome obstacles.
- Temperance – Temperance and the Strength card have balance in common. Together, they encourage you to be fair and deliberate.
- The Star – The Star and the Strength card have self-confidence in common. Together, they signal grace and resilience as you face your challenges.
Some cards contrast with the energy of Strength, signaling a lack of personal balance. These contrasting cards are a wake-up call when you’ve lost self-confidence.
Here are some examples of cards that contrast with the energy of the Strength card:
- The Tower – Where Strength offers balance, The Tower brings instability. Together, they say that things fall apart. It’s how you respond to the crisis that matters.
- The Devil – Where Strength offers you self-control, The Devil says you lack self-control. Together, they point to the importance of standing up for yourself. Especially when temptation and distraction give you trouble.
- The Five of Swords – Where strength grants us harmony, The Five of Swords sows discord. Together, they remind us it’s important to prioritize compassion.
Now we come to the end of our tale about the Strength card in Tarot. It’s the message of power through empathy and self-control. One that predicts steady progress due to confidence.
With these themes in your life, you can expect to rise to any challenging occasion. You’ll find reassurance with each success you have. Personal strength allows you to give grace without resentment and face challenges without fear.
That’s really something to celebrate!
What does the Strength Tarot card symbolize?
The Strength Tarot card symbolizes inner strength, courage, and resilience in the face of challenges and adversity.
How does the Strength Tarot card relate to personal growth?
The Strength Tarot card signifies the need to harness one’s inner power and overcome obstacles to achieve personal growth and self-mastery.
What does it mean when the Strength Tarot card appears in a reading?
When the Strength Tarot card appears in a reading, it suggests that you have the strength and determination to overcome any difficulties or conflicts you may be facing.
How does the Strength Tarot card represent emotional strength?
The Strength Tarot card represents emotional strength by reminding us to confront our fears, control our impulses, and find balance in our emotions.
What is the reversed meaning of the Strength Tarot card?
When the Strength Tarot card is reversed, it may indicate a lack of confidence, self-doubt, or a need to work on developing inner strength and resilience.
Melanie Rose is an astrologer and a writer on esoteric topics. She produces and hosts daily astrology and Tarot updates on her Youtube channel, "Rose Tarot & Astrology." She has recently been published on Moonomens.com, Numerologysign.com, and at Whateveryourdose.com, sharing her symbol-logical wisdom and interpretive stylings.