Christmas wouldn’t be the same without a decadent chocolate log but what do you do if you’re vegan? Well, the team at Co Yo have whipped up a delightful recipe just for you…
Ingredients: (Makes one roulade)
180g ground almonds
10 Medjool dates, pitted
6-7 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp gluten-free oats
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste
¼ tsp salt
For the cream:
200g cashews, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes
2½ tbsp maple syrup
1-2 tbsp water
1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1½ tsp vanilla paste
3 tbsp desiccated coconut
Pinch of salt
1) Start making the roll by pulsing together the ground almonds, cacao and salt until combined. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture sticks together. If it’s too sticky, add a little more cacao or ground almonds.
2) On a work surface, set out some baking paper. Place the raw cake mix on the paper in a ball, then flatten slightly. Take another sheet of baking paper and lie it on top, then roll out the cake mix into a rough rectangle shape (approx. 40cm long and 20cm wide), moving it after each roll to avoid it sticking to the paper. Remove the baking paper, then use a knife to cut off any rough edges to give a perfect rectangle.
3) Make the cream by blending together the cashews, CO YO, maple syrup, water and vanilla paste, adding more water if needed, until it is smooth. Be careful not to add too much, otherwise the mixture will become thin and watery.
4) Add in the desiccated coconut, coconut oil, salt and blend until smooth.
5) Spread the cream filling over the rectangle and then, using the baking paper to help, slowly roll the roulade up. Place in the freezer to firm up slightly (at least an hour) before cutting into slices.