Major Arcana cards add an all-inclusive spiritual or philosophical layer to any reading.
The Temperance card’s message is this: Practice mindful moderation in all things. Strive for a balanced life, and you can handle anything that comes your way.
Seek the middle path. Like Goldilocks, find the blend of hot and cold that’s just right for you. Your collaboration will mark your success with a deep sense of peace and harmony.
Temperance Tarot Card Description
To better understand the meaning of this card, let’s take in the visuals it provides:
- Angel – This is the picture of an enlightened being. You can tell by the symbol for the Sun on their head and the bright halo. Their thoughts are clear and divinely inspired.
- Triangle & Square – The symbol on the angel’s chest is a triangle within a square. This represents the grace and ease that comes from structure and moderation. It reminds us that regular habits can bring about miraculous results.
- Feet – One foot in the water and one foot on the ground. This is your signal to be practical, but choose things that feel right to you.
- Cups – Notice how the water flows sideways from one cup to another. You can do amazing and unlikely things if you practice. It’s an invitation to moderate your emotions and develop regular habits.
- Path & Sun – You’ve come a long way when you achieved Temperance. This is a sure sign of stability and being on a good path. With the optimism and vitality of the Sun, you are supported and supplied with all you need.
This card is about having the power to blend different energies. Just as every human has a body and a spirit, we can learn to blend matter and spirituality. This way, the security we create doesn’t just support us; it satisfies us, too.
|Balance, moderation, patience, harmony, alchemy
|Imbalance, excess, discord, impatience, clashing forces
|Yes or No
Upright Meaning of The Temperance
The upright meaning of this card is the same as the core meaning: Success through moderation is the name of the game.
This is a time to seek the middle ground. Steer clear of extremes. Better opportunities arise as you embrace self-discipline.
Here are the central themes:
- Integration – Temperance signals an opportunity to blend different energies together. It takes a calm and disciplined approach to mend a rift or to create something beautiful that will last.
- Compromise – This card may point to finding commonalities with one another. You may have to lean on what you have in common to move forward together.
- Healing – The skillful mixture of remedies often achieves healing. Rest, for example, coupled with good hydration, can do a lot to help a body feel better.
|Upright Career Meaning
|Upright Health Meaning
|Harmonious and balanced relationships built on patience and understanding
|Finding a work-life balance and using diplomacy in career situations
|Focus on maintaining a balanced and healthy lifestyle
Love and Relationships – Upright, The Temperance
In a love reading, this upright card signals a time when you seek common ground in love. You are mature enough now to work out any differences. Resolve your problems through balanced compromise.
Equilibrium in relationships is like dancing. If you strike a steady rhythm with a reliable partner, you can blend the needs and likes of both people. The resulting harmony is like a state of grace.
If you’re looking for love, this card says, “Fools rush in.” Don’t be in a hurry; don’t let someone influence you to do something outside your character.
Career and Work – Upright, The Temperance
In a reading about your career, Temperance in the upright points to a need for work/life balance. The work takes as long as it takes. Be patient with yourself, and give yourself some time out from labor.
Consider lightening your load by collaborating. Allow others to contribute in creative and material ways. This way, you make progress without having to do all the work.
A calm emotional state is vital to your success. Haste makes waste. So, take a measured approach to the tasks before you.
Do nothing to an extreme. A moderate approach in all things allows you to avoid burnout.
Health and Wellness – Upright, The Temperance
This card invites you to listen to your body for questions about mental and physical health. It’s easy to get too much or too little of many things. For example: Too little activity is as much a problem as too much.
The same goes for nutrition and rest. Temperance advises moderation in all things. Excess of all kinds will throw you out of balance, interrupting your sense of well-being.
This card also points to the use of traditional, natural therapies. These are not a substitute for legitimate medical care. But Reiki or Massage is a good example of a gentle therapy that boosts your equilibrium.
Spiritual Context – Upright, The Temperance
Temperance is about the marriage of physical matter with spiritual grace. In other words, the two sides of being human work in harmony. You exist in the world as a body but have an animating spirit.
Don’t rush this understanding. Rather, sit with it. Let it sink in.
Have regular spiritual habits like meditation or ritual. Knowing you can trust yourself to show up for your spiritual well-being feels like a state of grace. That’s Temperance.
Reversed Meaning of The Temperance
When Temperance comes out in reverse, something is out of balance.
Temperance is all about seeking equilibrium through moderate practices. So it’s probably something you need to do more or more. For example, you can be so focused on one responsibility that you forget to care for the others.
- Haste – When you hurry to finish your work, you will likely make sloppy mistakes. This creates more work. So slow down and pay attention to the details. You’ll be much more satisfied with the results when you know you did your best.
- Boundaries – It’s possible to promise more than you can give. It’s possible to give more than the reward is worth to you. Temperance invites you to know your limits and honor them. When you value yourself this way, it shows others how to value you, too.
|Reversed Love Meaning
|Reversed Career Meaning
|Reversed Health Meaning
|Imbalance or lack of patience causing conflicts in relationships
|Struggles to find harmony or purpose in the career
|Beware of potential health issues due to imbalances or excesses
Love and Relationships – Reversed, The Temperance
When Temperance pops reversed in a love reading, it signals a one-sided relationship. One person may be making all the effort to relate. Or one person may be unfairly burdened with bills or housework.
This kind of imbalance doesn’t simply work itself out. It takes careful communication and compromise.
Be honest with your beloved about your experience and how you feel. And listen carefully to their point of view. Compromise works best when both people get something they need.
If you’re looking for love, you may have an off-kilter sense of what finding someone looks like. Don’t rush, and don’t push. Good love takes time to develop.
Career and Work – Reversed, The Temperance
Professionally, the Temperance card in reverse points again to your work/life balance. You may feel over your head in responsibilities. Sometimes, there is no hope of moderation if you want to get things done.
Establish regular working hours and set realistic expectations. If it takes an hour to complete a project, wait to promise it in 45 minutes. Turning in sloppy work will only please the customer as much as having it done late.
So, as counter-intuitive as it seems, when you’re overwhelmed, slow down and regroup. A deliberate approach with plenty of breaks is the best way to succeed without burning out.
Health and Wellness – Reversed, The Temperance
When it comes to your health, Temperance reversed points to unbalanced activities. You may be neglecting your well-being or indulging in excessive habits.
Reset your priorities with feeling happy and well at the top of the list. And don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need it. We all can use a little support from time to time.
Spiritual Context – Reversed, The Temperance
There is a conflict within when this card pops reversed in a spirituality reading. Sometimes, our actions don’t align with our beliefs. This is your invitation to reconcile the two.
Sometimes, it’s the action that needs to change. You know it doesn’t reflect what you value. It may be a habit you need to revise or release.
Sometimes, the action does reflect the belief, but you know the action is correct. In this case, it’s time to update your point of view to align with what you know is right.
Making these personal adjustments will help you be more authentically yourself. In the long run, it’s the spirit of the things we do that matters.
The Temperance: Yes or No
“Yes, but proceed with moderation.”
The thing you propose will require a diligent and careful mindset. Remember the sewing adage: “Measure twice, cut once.” So go for it, but don’t rush. Your self-control will pay off.
The Temperance and Astrology Card
When you add Astrology to a Tarot reading, you get another layer of significance. In astrology, symbols for the Temperance card are the planet Jupiter and the sign Sagittarius.
- Jupiter – In mythology, Jupiter is the god of the skies. As in, “The sky is the limit!” Jupiter is here to help you grow and expand your idea of what you can be, do, and have. But it requires effort on your part. So think positive thoughts, and always strive toward your dreams.
- Sagittarius – This sign is interested in adventure and learning universal truths. Sagittarius is a sign that tells the bold truth to inspire others to act. It leads by example, so the Temperance card invites you to do the same.
So, the moderation and self-discipline of Temperance isn’t about self-restriction. Rather, your dedication frees you to find inspiration to grow and shine as a beacon of progress for others.
The Temperance Tarot Card and Numerology
Numerology is about the symbolism of numbers. Temperance’s number in Tarot is 14. In numerology, you add the numbers until they are reduced to a single-digit number.
In this example: 1+4=5. So the Temperance card vibrates the number Five.
In Tarot, Five represents a turning point. The pace of progress begins to crawl. You have to be deliberate in your decision-making to get back up to speed.
The guidance is this: Crisis is temporary. Aspire to something greater, and take careful, measured steps in that direction.
The Temperance as a Daily Card
The Temperance card reminds you to pace yourself in a daily Tarot draw and make deliberate moves.
When you slow down and balance your efforts, you will have more freedom in your day. You can do exactly what you set out to do and do it well.
Avoid haste, excess, or neglecting what’s important. Give yourself time to move through the day gracefully and peacefully.
If there is a point of tension in one of your relationships, this is your signal to mend fences. Remember why this person is valuable to you, and treat them with care.
How to use The Temperance in a Reading?
To use this card in a reading, you have to keep in mind that it demands careful action.
As a Major Arcana card, Temperance’s influence is stronger than a regular suit card. And whatever other cards turn up with it, it broadcasts a message of success through moderation!
Here are some themes to pay attention to:
- Blending Elements – Temperance calls us to mix different elements or energies carefully. This is not a vibe for random experimentation. Rather, you use your understanding of different materials to create something new. The product of your efforts is a mark of your maturity and moderation.
- Common Ground – In differences of opinion, this card advises you to lean on what you have in common. If you address the conflict patiently, you can turn a competitor into a collaborator.
- Patience is Key – Remember that haste makes waste. When you rush, you typically need to do your best work, which results in unsatisfying. Don’t push yourself to get through something that takes more time than you give it.
How to use The Temperance in a Love Reading?
In love, Temperance shows there is equilibrium in your relationship. When disagreements come up, seek common ground.
Are you looking for love? Diving headlong into a mad affair can be easy, but this card calls for a moderate approach. Be open and receptive, but take your time.
The right person for you will appreciate a slow and steady pace.
You will know what this means in the context of your own reading. It will stand out in your mind and demand your attention. Remember to blend its meaning with the story told by the rest of the cards collectively.
Also, apply the card’s meaning in this context to the position it landed in. For example, it could be in the “present” position of a “Past, Present, Future” spread. If that’s the case, the romantic moderation is called for now.
How to use The Temperance in a Career Reading?
Temperance in a career spread is about playing it safe for steady progress. Now is not the time to go to extremes or take big risks.
Make a plan to balance your professional goals with your private life. This may include working with a team in a cooperative and harmonious environment.
For any reading, it’s important to ask specific questions. Keep your job prospects in mind while you shuffle or mix the cards. Take a grounding breath. Trust what comes immediately to mind when you turn the card over.
Then, when Temperance comes out in the reading, you can blend its focused and deliberate vibe with the messages of the other cards. This tells a more complete story.
How to use The Temperance in a Health Reading?
In a health reading, Temperance represents balancing your mental and physical well-being.
It promises that if you don’t feel well now, you do have the capacity to improve. With close attention and deliberate care, you will soon feel better than ever.
The guidance for using it in a health reading is the same as any other reading. Compare and blend the story of this card with that of the others. The Temperance card should make you slow down and take the necessary steps to live with joy and vitality.
The Temperance in Relation to Other Cards
The Temperance card gives an energy of security and experience. Now is the time to slow down and pay rigorous attention to details! But just what is all this responsible behavior about? The answer may lie in the cards that surround it.
Here are some tips for comparing The Sun with other cards:
- Paired with Positive Cards: When Other positive cards surround the Temperance card, you can be more secure in your success. This increases your sense of stability as you make steady progress.
- Balanced with Negative Cards: The glass is half-full if The Temperance card appears with challenging cards. With care and dedication on your part, your efforts will be rewarded.
- In the Company of Other Major Arcana Cards: Other Major Arcana cards sitting near The Temperance card enhance the power of this card. They add more dimension to the story, giving clues to the path ahead.
The Temperance Card is an important part of the overall story a reading tells. The key to a good reading is to blend its message with the messages of the other cards in the spread.
Some cards support Temperance. They do this by spelling out a similar story or adding depth and dimension to the tale of moderation. When it shows up with complementary cards, the deliberate action message becomes clearer.
Here are some cards that complement the Temperance card:
- The Chariot – The Chariot and Temperance have self-control in common. Together, they encourage you to minimize distractions and stay focused on your goal.
- The Heirophant – The Heirophant and Temperance have moderation in common. Together, they remind you that adherence to tried-and-true norms and rules is a path to success.
- The Hanged Man – The Hanged Man and Temperance have a productive pause in common. See the value at a slower pace. You have more time to attend to details, and your outcome will be more satisfying.
Some cards contrast with the energy of Temperance, signaling reckless choices. These contrasting cards are a wake-up call when you lose touch with your purpose.
Here are some examples of cards that contrast with the energy of the Temperance card:
- The Fool – Where Temperance offers carefulness, The Fool signals carelessness. Together, they remind you to keep your wits about you. Especially in uncharted territory.
- The Tower – Where Temperance offers stability, The Tower brings instability. Together, they say that nothing lasts forever. But with planning and careful progress, you can be ready for anything.
- The Devil – Where Temperance offers you freedom, The Devil wants to tie you down. Together, they suggest that you have the power to untangle from dangerous distractions. It takes self-discipline and deliberate action.
So here we come to the end of our deep dive into the Temperance card in Tarot. It’s the message of success with conservative planning. One that predicts steady progress due to diligent efforts.
With these themes in your life, you can expect to settle into a routine. You’ll find freedom in the structure you create for yourself. It feels like a state of grace, and your creations will be increasingly satisfying.
What does the Temperance Tarot card symbolize?
The Temperance card represents balance, moderation, and harmony. It signifies the need to find a middle ground and avoid extremes in life.
How does the Temperance card relate to relationships?
In relationships, the Temperance card advises finding compromise and maintaining a harmonious connection. It encourages patience and understanding to create a balanced partnership.
What does the reversed Temperance card indicate?
When reversed, the Temperance card suggests a lack of balance or excessive behavior. It warns against impatience, impulsiveness, or indulgence, urging the need for moderation.
How does the Temperance card influence career and finances?
The Temperance card advises finding a balance between work and personal life. It encourages patience and moderation in financial matters, promoting wise decision-making and resource management.
What spiritual message does the Temperance card convey?
The Temperance card reminds us to seek spiritual harmony and inner peace. It encourages us to trust the divine timing and embrace a balanced approach to our spiritual journey.
Melanie Rose is an astrologer and a writer on esoteric topics. She produces and hosts daily astrology and Tarot updates on her Youtube channel, "Rose Tarot & Astrology." She has recently been published on Moonomens.com, Numerologysign.com, and at Whateveryourdose.com, sharing her symbol-logical wisdom and interpretive stylings.