Major Arcana cards add an all-embracing spiritual or philosophical layer to any reading.
The Fool card’s message is about making a brand-new start. This youthful and restless character isn’t well prepared. But what he lacks in preparation, he makes up for in enthusiasm.
His guidance: When adventure calls, step up and say, “I’m in!”
Fool Tarot Card Description
To better understand the meaning of this card, let’s talk about the art involved:
- The Fool – His pose is carefree, and his eyes are not on the path before him, or he would see that he’s about to walk off a cliff! The little dog jumps at his feet, a reminder to pay attention!
- Accessories – Traveling light, he has only a small bag carried over his shoulder at the end of a stick. The white rose in one hand signals his innocence or lack of experience. The red feather in his cap resembles a flame of inspiration.
- The Sun – The Sun and the golden sky signal give reasons for optimism. While the rugged peaks in the background point to unknown challenges ahead.
The Fool is an example of youthful exuberance. He doesn’t know what the journey ahead holds and doesn’t seem to care. Confidence and progress are all that matter.
|New beginnings, innocence, adventure
|Yes or No
Upright Meaning of The Fool
The upright meaning of this card is the same as the core meaning: A fresh start and the spirit of adventure!
This is a time to strike out on a path you’ve never explored. This is a new chapter in your evolution, with lots to learn and experience.
Here are the central themes:
- New Adventure – The Fool is the very first card of the Major Arcana, so he represents the beginning of a story. Whether you’re just getting started in life or putting a chapter behind you and moving on, you can be confident in this fresh start.
- Spontaneity & Innocence – The Fool is wide open to new experiences. Lacking experience, he doesn’t know what to fear, and he is happy to leap without looking too hard.
- Risk & Trust – Stepping off a cliff signifies embracing the unknown. Every journey comes with risks, but he has faith in himself and trusts the Universe not to steer him wrong.
|Upright Career Meaning
|Upright Health Meaning
|Represents new love or deepening of bonds
|Signifies career growth and success
|Reflects vitality and overall health
Love and Relationships – Upright, The Fool
The Fool in love wants you to gain a new perspective on your relationship. Don’t hesitate to get out together and try new things. Fresh adventures will add new life to a stagnant affair.
If you’re looking for love, the Fool is here to encourage you! Now is the time to take a chance on a new potential partner. Heed the call to adventure with a brave and willing heart!
Career and Work – Upright, The Fool
Upright in a career reading, the message of the Fool is about taking risks. It’s possible you’ve been playing it safe and feel like you’re getting nowhere. Now is the time to take the leap toward a big goal.
Whether it’s a change in careers or a new approach to doing business, the innovative steps you take right now pave the way for a successful adventure. The greater the risk, the juicier the reward!
Health and Wellness – Upright, The Fool
In a question about health, the Fool invites you to be open and willing to try something new. When it comes to your health goals, you can trust your instincts.
Whether it’s a new exercise routine or a major medical decision, the Fool’s guidance approaches your health with a sense of adventure. Seeking renewal, you have to try new things. When you set aside your fears, your progress is promised.
Spiritual Context – Upright, The Fool
Upright in a spirituality reading, the Fool calls you to embrace new learning. With a sense of wonder and a fearless heart, explore some ideas you haven’t tried before.
Spirituality is about feeling connected to something greater than yourself. Have confidence and trust your instincts as you seek out more ways to enjoy that sense of relationship with the Divine.
Reversed Meaning of The Fool
When the Fool comes out in reverse, you may struggle with a lack of initiative.
The Fool is all about beginning actions that represent progress. So when he shows up in reverse, it’s due to false starts or stagnation.
- Haste – This placement may invite you to slow down and take a practical approach. Don’t make the mistake of moving forward without research and a plan.
- Direction – To make a fresh start, at least knowing which way you’re headed is helpful. If you lack a solid direction, it may be best to wait until you have a better idea of your path.
Let these keys tell what the Fool in reverse points to in your reading.
|Reversed Love Meaning
|Reversed Career Meaning
|Reversed Health Meaning
|Indicates conflicts or fading affections
|Suggests setbacks or stagnation in work
|Points to potential health challenges
Love and Relationships – Reversed, The Fool
When the Fool pops reversed in a question of love, it signals the need for caution. Rushing ahead with your plans at this time may prove disastrous.
If you’re serious about your relationship, it is best not to take risks without discussing them first. After all, what happens to you will affect your partner and your relationship.
If you’re looking for love, this card reminds you not to rush into love without understanding the possible consequences. Look before you leap! The Fool card, in reverse, wants you to take your time getting to know a new potential partner.
Career and Work – Reversed, The Fool
Reversed in a career spread, the Fool card reminds you not to make hasty decisions. Rushing into a project or new opportunity without a plan is more risky than it needs to be.
You may also struggle to find a career path you’re satisfied with. There’s no sense in staying in a job that makes you miserable. On the other hand, starting repeatedly won’t help build security.
Give your future it’s due consideration. Invest your time and attention in finding work that will reward you in many ways. It’s best to start with a plan.
Health and Wellness – Reversed, The Fool
When the Fool pops reversed in a wellness reading, you may have been reckless with your health. Your mental and physical well-being rely on careful decision-making.
When you want to make a fresh start, hopping on fad diet trends or adopting extreme workouts is tempting. The Fool, in reverse, wants you to consider your options and make informed choices.
Committing to a healthy lifestyle is essential to good health. Avoid having a haphazard or scattered apporach to taking care of yourself. Find a routine that works well, and stick with it.
Spiritual Context – Reversed, The Fool
In reverse, the Fool calls you to reflect on past experiences. Spiritual insight is gained by acknowledging your mistakes. It’s essential to be responsible for your improvement.
This is a time to let go of beliefs that limit your progress. This is the best place to start on any spiritual path. You can find the connection and uplift you seek if you first believe in yourself.
The Fool: Yes or No
“Yes! Leap and the net will appear!.”
The Fool is a very encouraging sign of optimism and progress. Trust your instincts, and your choices will bring you success!
The Fool and Astrology
When you add Astrology to a Tarot reading, you get another layer of significance. In astrology, the symbols for the Fool card are the planet Uranus and the sign Aquarius.
- Uranus – In Astrology, Uranus relates to surprises, excitement, and new information. It will shift your perspective and upgrade your technology. In this way, Uranus is always helping you make a fresh start.
- Aquarius – This serious sign is individualistic and innovative. Under its influence, we are always willing to try something new, especially if it helps everyone.
The courage and spontaneity of the Fool allow him to roll with the changes. His motto: You don’t have to get ready if you stay ready.
The Fool Tarot Card and Numerology
Numerology is about the symbolism of numbers. The number of the Fool in Tarot is 0.
In this example, The Fool card vibrates the number Zero.
In Tarot, Zero represents potential. The message is that, like a seed, you have everything you need, but nothing much has happened yet. Which means you’re just getting started.
Remember to trust your instincts and keep your wits about you. Pitfalls and opportunities abound. Always do your best.
The Fool as a Daily Card
In a daily Tarot draw, the Fool card invites you to approach this day with spontaneity and a sense of adventure!
Whether you know it or not, you are making a start today. Step into it with optimism and enthusiasm. A fresh and buoyant attitude will carry you a long way!
This day will give you reasons to leap boldly onto the next challenge when you see that “heck yeah!” opportunity; run with it!
How to use The Fool in a Reading?
To use this card in a reading, you have to keep in mind that it wants you to take action to realize your potential.
As a Major Arcana card, The Fool card’s influence is stronger than a regular suit card. And whatever other cards turn up with it, it broadcasts a message of intuitive power!
Here are some themes to pay attention to:
- Spontaneity means choosing your actions at the moment and stepping out without a plan. It can be refreshing to set aside planning and worry, embrace the moment and do what you feel.
- Courage – It takes bravery to strike out on a new journey. It’s impossible to plan for everything that will come up. The Fool throws caution to the wind in favor of adventure!
- Innocence – This is about approaching each experience as though you are brand new to it. This gives you the flexibility to respond differently than you might have. Put away preconceived ideas and take an open attitude.
Notice how these themes relate to your life at the time of this reading. Your intuition will tell you what or whom this card reminds you of.
How to use The Fool in a Love Reading?
In love, The Fool indicates a fresh start in romance. This card calls for some carefree, spontaneous relating to your partner. Try something new to shake off stagnation.
If you’re looking for love, the message of the Fool is to have courage and get out there! You have to show up to make a connection. There is no time like the present!
It helps to look at the card’s position in your spread. For example, the Fool could land in a position called “the present.” In that case, the spontaneity and innocence of this card is something that is called for today.
How to use The Fool in a Career Reading?
The Fool in a career spread is about making a bold start. Interesting new challenges and opportunities give the courage to take action.
The guidance is to trust your instincts and do what excites you. This quest is part of your professional evolution. You have what it takes to surmount any challenge with a spirit of adventure!
For any reading, it’s important to ask specific questions. Keep your job prospects in mind while you shuffle or mix the cards. Take a grounding breath. Trust what comes immediately to mind when you turn the card over.
How to use The Fool in a Health Reading?
In a health reading, The Fool signals to start fresh. Now is the time to make your well-being the priority!
It promises that you will get there if you don’t feel well now. With a courageous heart and an open mind, you can make the changes necessary to live a more accessible and fulfilling lifestyle.
The guidance for using it in a health reading is the same as any other reading. Compare and blend the story of this card with that of the others. The Fool card wants you to trust your instincts and make a beginning.
Also, notice what the other cards have to say about that.
The Fool in Relation to Other Cards
The Fool card gives an energy of confidence and freedom. Now is the time to step out on a new adventure! But, just how will you do that? The answer may lie in the cards that surround it.
Here are some tips for comparing the Fool with other cards:
- Paired with Positive Cards: Trust your instincts when positive cards surround the Fool card. When things are going well, the following steps will be clear to you.
- Balanced with Negative Cards: If The Fool card appears with challenging cards, there is a lesson in the struggle. By trusting your instinct for progress, you can face any challenge.
- In the Company of Other Major Arcana Cards: Other Major Arcana cards sitting near the Fool card enhance the power of this card. They add more dimension to the story, giving clues to the path ahead.
The Fool card is an important part of the overall story a reading tells. The key to a good reading is to blend its message with the messages of the other cards in the spread.
Some cards support the Fool. They do this by spelling out a similar story or adding depth and dimension to the tale of action and new beginnings. When it shows up with complementary cards, the reasons become more clear.
Here are some cards that complement the Fool card:
- The Magician – The Magician and the Fool have courage and initiative in common. Together, they invite you to seize the moment and manifest your dream!
- The Chariot – The Chariot and the Fool have the drive and determination in common. Together, they point to taking action to pursue your goals.
- The Knight of Wands – The Knight of Wands and the Fool share passion and enthusiasm. Together, they are energetic and vigorous. This reinforces the impulsive and adventurous nature of the Fool.
Some cards contrast with the energy of the Fool, signaling a lack of initiative or enthusiasm. These contrasting cards are a wake-up call when you’ve lost touch with your spontaneity.
Here are some examples of cards that contrast with the energy of the Fool card:
- The Hanged Man – The Fool shows impulsiveness. The Hanged Man signals a time to pause and gain perspective. Together, they indicate restlessness and remind you to look before you leap.
- The Tower – The Fool takes reckless actions. The Tower brings upheaval and chaos. Together they warn against careless behavior, advising a more careful approach.
- The Devil – The Fool invites you to indulge in temptation. The Devil uses temptation to hold you back. Together, they advise being careful about impulsiveness.
As we end our Fool card discussion, remember this invitation to make a fresh start. You gain good experience when you open up and take some risks. A little bit of courage will carry you a long way.
With these themes in your life, you can appreciate the gift of spontaneity and a spirit of adventure. Of course, keeping your senses tuned in to possible dangers is important. But few things are more inspiring and hopeful than a brand new journey.
What does the Fool tarot card symbolize?
The Fool represents new beginnings, spontaneity, and taking risks with a sense of optimism and trust in the journey ahead.
Is the Fool card a positive or negative omen?
The Fool is generally seen as a positive card, indicating a fresh start and the potential for growth and adventure in life.
Can the Fool card indicate foolishness or naivety?
While the Fool can represent innocence and a lack of experience, it is not necessarily associated with foolishness. It encourages embracing the unknown with an open mind.
Does the Fool card have any specific meanings in love and relationships?
In love readings, the Fool suggests being open to new experiences and taking risks in matters of the heart. It can signify a carefree and spontaneous approach to relationships.
How should one interpret the Fool card in a career context?
The Fool card in a career reading often suggests taking a leap of faith and pursuing new opportunities. It encourages embracing change and being open to unconventional paths.
Melanie Rose is an astrologer and a writer on esoteric topics. She produces and hosts daily astrology and Tarot updates on her Youtube channel, "Rose Tarot & Astrology." She has recently been published on Moonomens.com, Numerologysign.com, and at Whateveryourdose.com, sharing her symbol-logical wisdom and interpretive stylings.