Welcome, friends, to the magical realm of Tarot, where today’s star is The Five of Wands!
Cue the drama because we are getting into the heat of the action! Picture five characters in a spirited stick-wielding brawl, armed with the legendary Wands of Tarot, symbolizing action and willpower.
In the chaos of pursuing your goals, life isn’t always as simple as pressing “play.” However, when the dragon of chaos and confusion rears its head, this is your moment to shine! Armed with a clever mind and a determined heart, you’re not just facing challenges but mastering them.
So, rise to the challenge when life tosses a stick-waving brawl your way. Get fired up, and show us all what you’re working with! Your victory isn’t just a win; it’s a badge of genuine improvement in the cosmic school of challenges!
Five of Wands Tarot Card Description
This card’s message? Accept the challenge!
Let us savor the art of The Five of Wands: five lively characters, wands ablaze, in a contest of wills. Faces show passion and rivalry; they are in it to win it! The backdrop? An open field on a clear blue day.
- Wands symbolize the fight to come out on top,
- Number Five is a setback that motivates us to try harder,
- Aiming High means no one is trying to hurt anyone,
- Level Playing Field makes this a fair fight,
- Clear Blue Sky is giving clarity. There is no deception.
|Conflict, competition, tension, disagreements, challenges
|Avoiding conflict, internal conflict, needing to unify, suppressing tension
|Yes or No
Upright Meaning of The Five of Wands
Disagreements are opportunities disguised as brick walls.
Buckle your safety belts! The Five of Wands promises a rollercoaster of thrills and upsets. However, this is no cosmic conspiracy to hold you back. In fact, it’s the universe nudging you to crank up the heat and flex your skills and determination.
Life throws us curveballs, sometimes several at once! In its upright state, this card tells the story of a hero who’s driven to succeed. What looks like chaos turns out to be a healthy challenge. This competition is exactly what you need to break free from the pack and stand out.
Digging into the wisdom of this card, you can hear it whisper, “Learn from your differences!” Share your best ideas and listen to the outlooks of others. Befriend a competitor and gain a teammate!
So, heed the call to adventure when the Five of Wands pops up in your reading! It’s a chance to sharpen your skills and show off your brilliant mind. This is your time to shine!
|Upright Love Meaning
|Upright Career Meaning
|Upright Health Meaning
|Relationship conflicts or disagreements; work through issues together
|Workplace competition or conflicts; find a collaborative approach
|Watch for potential injuries or accidents; be cautious and stay safe
Love and Relationships – Upright, The Five of Wands
In the world of love and relationships, the Five of Wands warns of troubled waters. Whether it’s your sweetheart, your bestie, or that odd-duck family member, be ready for some frustration!
Sometimes, the people we love most give us the most problems, but these challenges help us grow into kinder, more loving people. So stay involved and work together to resolve your sticking points. Patience and compassion today will lead to a stronger relationship in the long run.
Career and Work – Upright, The Five of Wands
On the job, this card in the upright signals clashes with workmates. It’s normal to compete at work, and sometimes you have to hustle. When things get competitive, don’t pull any punches. Do your best to win!
Rising to the challenge is how to succeed at work and in life. It’s your special recipe for professional development. Tune into your ambitions as you sharpen your skills because you’re about to level up.
Health and Wellness – Upright, The Five of Wands
When you face minor health challenges, tackle them head-on by giving the problem your undivided attention. Slowing down to tend to an injury, a short illness, or a mental health challenge shows strength and resilience.
But more importantly, when you take your well-being seriously, you’ll be back on your feet, ready to compete more quickly and feel better than ever.
Spiritual Context – Upright, The Five of Wands
Spiritual turbulence can make for a bumpy ride on your path to personal growth, but it’s just a detour. You can think of this bubble of confusion as a test of your desire to progress.
This fun dance with chaos can feel like you’re drifting close to the edge. You show strength when you follow Spirit’s lead and open your heart to greater understanding. So lace up your All Stars, and Savage your way to the next level.
Reversed Meaning of The Five of Wands
When you rise to the challenge, you win the prize: Feeling at home in your own heart.
A card in reverse is a look at the things we don’t usually see, and with the Five of Wands, you’re in for some wild talks with yourself as you search your inner world for the strength and clarity to get moving toward your soul’s purpose.
Nothing stays the same, including the motivations of your heart and mind. Life always invites us to do more learning and growing.
But this is no crisis. In fact, it’s a call to adventure! Step boldly into the unknown, ready for the experience that expands you as a human, becoming a greater version of yourself!
Here’s a different way to see it: When you’re struggling to keep your head above water, don’t pretend you’re okay. Instead, give that little fighter a big bear hug because that’s the one that will help you find the way back up so you can breathe again.
Inner conflict means you are growing, so don’t run away from it! Personal improvement doesn’t just land in your lap – it forces you to face your fears and try harder.
|Reversed Love Meaning
|Reversed Career Meaning
|Reversed Health Meaning
|Resolving conflicts and finding common ground in relationships
|Career improvements or resolution of office politics
|Overcoming health issues or recovery from injuries; seek support and healing
Love and Relationships – Reversed, The Five of Wands
Lovebirds, hold onto your heart emojis! When this card blazes in reverse, it’s time to think about what’s happening in the background. Sometimes, our romances appear calm & happy, but beneath the surface are some feelings that are hard to express.
The advice is to take a deep dive. Have a talk and bring those feels into the sunlight! Open up and accept the truth for a better relationship. Just picture it: lovers teaming up, settling old disputes. The reward is a stronger, more trusting, and intimate love.
Career and Work – Reversed, The Five of Wands
Healthy competition at work is one thing, but avoid being underhanded or hitting below the belt. To keep the peace among workplace peers, the goal is not to win at all costs. This is a friendly contest.
So, if you feel insecure or dreading a potential conflict, remember that the point is to meet your professional goal, not to beat someone else at a game.
Health and Wellness – Reversed, The Five of Wands
In a Tarot health check-in, this reversal shines a light on your inner wellness. If you are struggling to feel positive or motivated, this is the call to address your mental health.
This card is also encouraging, though! It’s a fiery reminder that you have what it takes to face these problems and come out feeling good about yourself, better yourself, and more capable of tackling life’s challenges!
Spiritual Context – Reversed, The Five of Wands
When it comes to your spiritual reality, The Five of Wands in reverse reveals a turning point. You have come to some fresh understandings, and you may need help to make them fit with the old point of view.
Tossing aside outdated perspectives is part of growing as a person. So don’t avoid wading into the chaos to sort things out. A more serene way of seeing the world will be your reward.
The Five of Wands: Yes or No
“Yes, but you’ll have to fight for it.”
The Five of Wands is noisy, shouting out challenges and disputes. When it turns up for your “Yes or No” question, the answer is not immediately clear. It nudges you to face hurdles and talk things over.
Because Wands are the suit of “yes,” the answer is positive. However, you’ll have to step in and make an effort if you want to have things go your way.
The Five of Wands and Astrology
Leo’s headstrong vibe is a perfect match for The Five of Wands.
When you add astrology to the mix, your tarot reading has that much more depth—the sign Leo gives us fiery energy for vexing conversations.
Leo is ruled by the Sun, which gives you the courage to act on your passion confidently, and in a way, only you can do it.
Leo qualities you can work with:
- Love the Spotlight – Enjoy standing out and looking good!
- Fiercely Loyal – Stand by your friends and your principles
- Headstrong – Be determined to do things your way!
- Self Possessed – Be responsible for your mistakes and successes
The Five of Wands as a Daily Card
Life’s little challenges are stepping stones on your way to personal growth.
If you draw The Five of Wands as your daily card, it is both a pep talk and a wake-up call. You get better when you try to succeed in the face of challenges. So go get ’em!
Here are some key takeaways for this card in a daily drawing:
- Expect Lively Debates: You may face some misunderstandings or differences in opinion today. Don’t shy away! These interactions come up to help you invent better solutions to stagnant problems.
- Embrace the Challenge: An athlete gets stronger and more skilled every time they compete. The challenges you face today promise to make you sharper and ready to take on more. This is your chance to improve!
- Balance in Teamwork: When working with others, remember that having several pairs of eyes on the problem is valuable. Instead of putting up a fight, consider that your teammate may have a great idea that will make your job easier.
- Personal Growth: Though you are faced with many demands, at the end of the day, you will have grown in ways you didn’t even realize you could.
How it might Impact your Day?
Variety is the spice of life, and the Five of Wands promises a day fairly buzzing with problems to solve and puzzles to complete. Do not try to sit this one out. Your input is much needed, so be assertive and speak up!
Tense vibes mean you’ll have to work to resolve them. Ultimately, your participation leads to a better outcome, and everyone benefits. So embrace The Five of Wands vibe and watch your troubles transform into opportunities.
How to use The Five of Wands in a Reading?
Context is key when looking at any card in a Tarot spread.
There are hints and clues in each card that will help you look beyond the simple meaning of a single card and see what it adds to the overall story. Here are some tips for making the connection:
- Suits of Cards– Each suit relates to an element and certain ways of being. Learn your suits and compare them in the reading: Are there many more Wands than Cups, for instance? Wands are fire, and Cups are water, and you can see how a lot of water would put a fire out.
- Numbers of Cards – As a “five” card, The Five of Wands represents a moment where we have to struggle to overcome some problem. Are there any other “five” cards in the spread? Or any other “challenge” cards? This can give you a better idea about the details of your challenge and how you can face it.
- Card Positions – Sometimes, we assign meaning to the position where the card is placed in the spread. If this card appeared in the “past” position of a “Past, Present, and future” spread, it could mean that the struggle is behind you.
- Card Colors – The Five of Wands looks like a chaotic struggle, but you’ll notice that the sky is clear and blue, and the characters are all wearing brightly colored clothes. From this, you can see that something positive and straightforward is happening, and you have nothing to fear.
Five of Wands in Relation to Other Cards
The whole point of a tarot spread is to use the cards together to add layers of understanding to your overall situation. Naturally, each card stands up on its own, but in the context of other cards, the answers get you closer to the heart of the matter.
The Five of Wands brings an energy of conflict and challenge, letting you know you’ll have to be strong and step into the ring. But just what the challenge is about, or what circumstances have created this problem? That answer may lie in the cards you lay down around it.
Here are some tips for comparing The Five of Wands with other cards:
Balanced with Positive Cards: When The Five of Wands is surrounded by positive or harmonious cards, it suggests that the conflicts or challenges you face will lead to good outcomes.
Paired with Negative Cards: If The Five of Wands appears alongside challenging cards, it might indicate that the conflicts or struggles could be more complex or taxing.
The Five of Wands is just a small part of the overall story a reading tells. The key to a good reading is to blend its specific message with the messages of the other cards in the spread.
Some cards enhance the message of The Five of Wands, either by spelling out a similar story or adding depth and dimension to the tale of conflict. The message of competition and personal development becomes clearer when it shows up with complementary cards.
Here are some cards that complement The Five of Wands:
- The Chariot: The Five of Wands talks about competition and challenges. The Chariot emphasizes victory through determination and control. Together, they confirm, “You can win if you are determined.”
- Seven of Wands: This card is about standing your ground against opposition, which goes well with the confrontational energy of The Five of Wands. Together, they say, “You’re right to stand up for yourself!”
- Five of Swords: This one talks about the hollow feeling of victory when you win at any cost. Together with the Five of Wands, it seems to say, “Remember to keep it a clean flight.”
Some cards contrast with the energy of The Five of Wands, signaling things going in a different direction or perhaps finding a less combative solution to your problem. These contrasting cards can provide clarity in a confusing situation.
Here are some examples of cards that contrast with the energy of The Five of Wands:
- Temperance: The Five of Wands shows you conflict and tension, but Temperance is all about balance and blending energies. These two together seem to say, “See what you can do to work with people and not against them.”
- Two of Cups: This card symbolizes mutual respect, friendship, and partnership. This clearly sends a different message than The Five of Wands’ theme of competition and disagreement. These two may come together to say, “You could use a friend in this fight.”
- Four of Wands: The Four of Wands is about celebrations, stability, and coming home, a much more peaceful scene than The Five of Wands suggests. One way to look at them together is that it often takes some struggle to reach a point where you can celebrate your successes.
So now we come to the end of this discussion, and the power of The Five of Wands is revealed: It brings competition, challenges, and an invitation to get better, stronger, and more capable with every try. It’s your coach and your cheerleader, guiding you to face moments of conflict with courage.
Be assertive and creative, and you will have a big success on your hands worth celebrating. You’ve been handed the keys to Victory; now it’s up to you to use them!
What does the Five of Wands tarot card symbolize?
The Five of Wands represents conflict, competition, and challenges that require you to assert yourself and stand your ground.
What does it mean when the Five of Wands appears in a tarot reading?
It suggests that you may be facing obstacles or disagreements in your life that require you to find creative solutions and maintain a competitive spirit.
How should I interpret the Five of Wands in a love reading?
It indicates that there may be conflicts or power struggles within your relationship that need to be addressed and resolved for harmony to be restored.
What does the reversed Five of Wands signify?
When reversed, it suggests that the conflicts or challenges you have been facing are starting to dissipate, and you are finding ways to overcome them peacefully.
How can I navigate the energy of the Five of Wands in a career reading?
It advises you to embrace competition, assert your ideas, and be prepared to face challenges head-on to achieve success in your professional endeavors.
Melanie Rose is an astrologer and a writer on esoteric topics. She produces and hosts daily astrology and Tarot updates on her Youtube channel, "Rose Tarot & Astrology." She has recently been published on Moonomens.com, Numerologysign.com, and at Whateveryourdose.com, sharing her symbol-logical wisdom and interpretive stylings.