Nicole Herft, food stylist and author of The Healthy Hedonist, has created a Thai inspired Bloody Mary with a kick! Chillies are great to stimulate your appetite and your digestion.
Now you can create this healthier awakener at home for two.
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bashed with the back of a knife and cut in half
- 1/2 small red bird’s eye chilli, cut length ways
- 4 lime leaves lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Ice cubes
- 80ml vodka
- 8 Thai bail leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha ‘super hot’ chill sauce
- 200ml tomato juice
- Extra lime wedges, lime leaves, 1 lemongrass stalk (halved lengthways) & Thai basil leaves, to garnish
Place the lemongrass, chill, lime leaves, ginger agave nectar and 200ml water into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10minutes, or until the liquid reduces by half. Leave to cool. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve.
Fill a cocktail shaker half-full of ice cubes, pour the strained liquid in along with the vodka, Thai basil leaves, lime juice, soy sauce, sriracha and tomato juice. Shake vigorously for 1minute to extract as much flavour as possible from the Thai basil leaves. Fill the glass with ice cubes and strain the drink into each glass. Garnish with lime wedge, lime leaves, lemongrass and Thai basil. Delicious!